Friday, January 23, 2009

Another Friday

I don't mean that in a bad way by any means. I LOVE my Friday nights. I combine a few of my passions under one roof. Music, family, and friends. There also some crazy puppies and copious amounts of soda(for me lately) and beer(not for me lately). I usually get to my parents house a bit before everyone else, besides Dad. Tonight the plan is to talk to him about picking a few songs to learn for October. Anyone have any suggestions?
When we pick a few songs, I'll see if Dad wants to get together another day or two during the week to practice. Not just practice, but practice WITH A METRONOME! haha
One song I would like to have on the list, is Ol' 55 by Tom Waits. Not a ton of lyrics, not a ton of chords, but it's a great great song. Hopefully I'll have a list of songs we're working on, or at the very least I'm working on. :)

On a side note, if you went to an open mic night, and the person playing/singing was facing away from the crowd, would that take away from the music in your mind? Or distract you from what's being played? I know for a fact I'd be nervous as all hell and was thinking about just facing the opposite way to see if it would help... :/

2 comments:

Chai Latté said...

Yes, it would be VERY off-putting to see someone facing away.
Though, similarly, Ray LaMontagne (who I looove) Has stage fright, and he keeps his eyes closed the entire time! That, somehow (I think) works to his advantage, and makes him seem so deep into his music that its involuntary. But facing away would just be... awkward, and off-putting for sure.

I can't really recommend any songs, since I have no grasp of what is a hard song to play. But of course I'd recommend a little Zevon! :-)

Fatty McFat-Fat said...

That might work, depends if I'm going to need to read lyrics, but that could work too, just keep looking at the sheet music instead of the crowd... A lot of Zevon's stuff is pretty tough to play, but it really depends what I'm playing too. If it's just me, I'll have to play guitar and sing. Assuming I can figure out how to sing without completely embarrassing myself. If I'm playing with a few others, I can play bass, and hopefully have someone else who sings better than me step forward with that.