Tuesday, August 18, 2009

long time no see

I haven't been over here in a while. I guess I'm due. I haven't been doing much of anything on the art or music front. Just my usual Friday night jamming, which is still a lot of fun. It amazes me how some nights, we actually sounds pretty good, and other nights, everyone is playing in a different time, almost sounds like different songs. It gets kind of frustrating, especially from a bass players point of view. I'm just as much to blame as anyone, I haven't done anything for practice besides showing up on Friday night. My skills seem at a stand still to me. I'm pretty quick, my ear is getting better, but pulling everything together just isn't my strong suit. As I said though, I haven't been practicing. My bedroom in the new apartment is still a mess, it's one of those too much stuff, not enough storage for it type deals, so I've just been ignoring it. When I can easily just grab my guitar or bass and play, it makes it much less likely that I will do so, same with drawing. I don't have a desk, or table I can draw on, so it's my bed, or lap or nothing. Even if I did, I could sit down and stare at a piece of paper for HOURS without putting the pencil to it. I get the most intense artists block. It's as if my brain literally shuts down, and I just see the blank paper in my head. I have so many ideas, and no way to translate them out of my head when I don't have paper, or my guitar in front of me, yet when I do, I don't have the skill, knowledge, or I just plain go blank. Also, I need to learn how to relax when I play, not slow down, but relax.

Man I love iced coffee...

3 comments:

Ol' Man said...

Good to see you back here Fatty... Thought you got lost or something..

You are getting better at your jamming as am I. It's just a slow betterment so you don't notice it but as you mentioned some songs sound pretty good, like a real band. 1 year ago those were few and far between...so here's to slowly getting better! Cheers!

laura said...

your ol' man is right, your skills will progress even if you don't notice it right away... keep it up! sounds like lots of fun too!

maybe after one of those really long artist blocks, you'll create some kind of genius... you never know :)

it sounds like you are still settling in to the new digs, get comfy and get your creative side a brewin'

Fatty McFat-Fat said...

Yeah, I see a difference in how I play, I guess my biggest complaint is my own lack of effort, same as with my exercising. I should be a good player for the length of time I've been at it. But I guess I am okay for the amount of effort and time I've actually put into playing/practicing. I tend to get frustrated, because I can hear a song in my head, but I can't figure out how to play it. Otherwise, I'd probably have like 30 cds out already. lol as well as art books.:)