Thursday, July 17, 2008

Help or advice?

I'm in desperate need for new music I like. I've been away from checking out new bands and buying music for wayyyyyy too long. I've taken a step or two in the right direction by going to a few more local punk shows. They seem to be fairly few and far between though. Following link after link from myspace bands provides a couple decent prospects, but takes quite some time to find the good stuff.

I got home fairly late last night, so I didn't have time to plug the bass in and practice. I did play the guitar pretty quiet through the computer, less low-end vibrations to piss off the neighbors at 10-11pm. I need to get better with the six stringed beast too, so it's all good, at least I got some playing in.

I'm trying to practice more of playing with a pick on the bass. I'm horrible with it so far. Also, I'm trying to work on playing while standing up, it's almost like having to learn how to play all over again. I've got a lot of work ahead of me.

I'm going to try harder to get some friends to jam with. Friday nights are great, and I learn a lot. I really want to learn different styles too, like punk, rock, metal, hardcore, funk, etc. Friday nights are good for some old country, doo wop, and more of the mellower genres. We do the occasional Rolling Stones, or classic rock song. Usually those end up with me peddling on the root a lot, since I don't know the real bass line off the top of my head.

I know the drummer for Yesterday's Heroes I figure I'll ask him for some advice and tips when he gets back from tour. My cousin is also a pretty good guitarist/musician, we've been trying to get together for some jamming, but it's tough to find time during the week, and we've both been busy for the weekends lately. Hopefully soon we can get together, I'm sure I can learn a lot from him.
Guitarist/Singer Roach of The Murder has been around the scene for a long time too. I've asked him for some advice a couple times, but he's insanely busy between his stuff with The Murder, and Terrace St., a movie he's working on.

No comments: