Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Tuesday night Chats

Tuesday nights open mic night at the Chit Chat, good times. Usually it's the same crew of guys that get up and play. Some are actually pretty good. All can play better than me, but that's not saying much. Each set is about three songs, I think about 15 minutes per band.

The majority of the people that get up there are singer/songwriter acoustic performers. Not really my favorite genre, but some of them are pretty good at what they do. In general, that stuff tends to bore me. It's pretty tough to impress me in a genre that's over populated. A lot of it tends to run together and sound like one another with a different singer. It's sad, but I'm pretty jaded on that whole thing.

What makes it worse is I try and play the same stuff. I'm horrible at it, but it's the easiest stuff to try and write. Pick three or four of your favorite chords, string them together and come up with trite lyrics about love or something else sentimental. Tug on the heart strings type crap. Meh... There's a lot of people who love listening to it, and if it's done real well, I do to. Your local acoustic player tends to lack the spark to make it really stand out. I guess that's why they're doing open mic night and not large venue shows huh?

There's the occasional rock band, some reggae, all sorts of music, but mostly it's the one guy with his guitar. I always have a good time going down there, and it's always free to get in. Hopefully someday you'll come down, join me for a drink, and be able to watch me get up there. If I ever get good enough and can stop myself from shitting my pants before stepping onto a stage. :) Until then, at least join me in the drinking.

2 comments:

Chai Latté said...

someday you will play! and you'll kick butt! and someone will give you a record deal right there on the spot! :-)

Fatty McFat-Fat said...

hahahaha ahhhh, good ole pipe dreams. :)