Thursday, October 2, 2008

Ding! round one is over

So, I had my first of four(minimum) bass lessons last night. The teacher is a really nice guy. A little frantic and spacey, but overall a nice guy. We went over a bit of the basics or theory. How chords are built, how scales are built and how the modes are built off of the scales. Some of which I understand and know already, so we just glanced over the stuff I know. It was a nice refresher course, and made me realize I understand more than I thought I did, but I apply it less than I thought I did. If that makes any sense. The lesson did confirm my knowledge of the fretboard is abysmal! especially once I get above the A-string. I'm working on remembering to call the E-string low, as in it's the fourth string on the bass, not the first. That's something that's a matter of perspective, but I'm finding more people who refer to the G-string as the first string. I also noticed that I've already gotten too used to having the B-string on my new bass. I brought my Ibanez to the class, and kept starting scales and such on the A-string, when I should have been starting on the E. I have a feeling I'm really going to want to keep up my lessons for a bit after my four "free" ones, but I really don't think I can afford it. :/ We'll see how the next 3 lessons go though. I head back next Wed. at 8:00pm.

No comments: